Pinterest is full of spring projects right now. I really like the scenes inside bell jars and I am going to put a few together for Easter and beyond. While looking for elements to use I found three small wooden birdhouses from JoAnn’s that I’ve had for a while.
Instead of painting these, I decided to use small print scrapbook paper and modge podge to give them an wallpaper look. They were a little tricky to do, but I was pleased with the results. When I was done I remembered a project I’d seen that used bent paperclips as feet for birds. Rather than hand cut the shapes I decided to adapt the project for the Cricut. The paper is from a K&Company stack, Susan Winget’s Best of Paper Pad. I had plenty of scrap for this project.
- Create a Critter 2
Cut Size In Inches:
- a tape runner
- small binder clips
- craft glue like Aleene’s Max Tacky Adhesive
- standard sized paper clips
For all three birds I cut the base layer in a spring green. Since these little birds will be seen from both sides I cut two of each layer one facing right and the other facing left. For each different chick I chose one of the papers I had used on the roof of a bird house for the second layer and a coordinating solid for the third layer. Since the birds would stand on paper clip legs I trimmed the paper legs off the green layers. I then assembled each right and left facing bird.
To bend the paper clips I set them on the table top and held the big loop down with my thumb as I pulled the small loop upwards. I straightened that loop out, but try as I might I couldn’t get the last little bit of kink to come out. That made them difficult to work with. So I used the wire cutters from my jewelry tools to snip right below the kink. A little bit of tape runner held the paper clip feet in place on the back of the birds until I could use a big dab of adhesive over that. I spread glue over the rest of the bird, attached the back and used the mini binder clips to hold everything together. I adjusted the feet so the birds stood up and left them to dry for several hours before removing the clips.
I learned something from this project. That third bird didn’t look right. I was so focused on having one bird for each of the roof papers that I didn’t stop to consider the scale of the print. The floral print was too big and too busy for the size of the cut.