Many years ago when we were visiting family in the Toronto area, I noticed many homes had named their properties and gardens. These names were displayed on neat signs posted on fences and garden gates. When we got home I named our property Gladville Gardens with a wooden hand lettered sign.
After 15 plus years of Chicago weather, last year I replaced the original sign with a new one. This time I used adhesive backed vinyl, spray paint and my Cricut. I liked the crisp edges of the lettering and the fresh white and green colors. This spring a wooden planter box next to the other garden gate had clearly seen better days so I decided to replace it with a sign rather than another flower box.
- Walnut Hollow Sign 8.25 x 18.5 inches
- Self adhesive vinyl
- Masking tape
- Exacto knife
- Old news papers
- Sanding block
- Rustoleum 2x Ultra Cover Satin Moss Green
- Rustoleum 2x Ultra Cover Satin Straw Flower
- Rustoeum 2x Ultra Cover Satin Blossom White
- Folk Art Autumn Leaves
- Cricut Alphabet
- Walk in my Garden
- Winter Wonderland
Cut Sizes in Inches:
- “Time” @ 2.0 (Cricut Alphabet)
- “began in a ” @ 1.5
- “Garden” @ 2.75 (Winter Wonderland)
- Cone flower @ 3.0 (Walk in my Garden)
- Daisy 2 @ 3.0 and 1.75
- Leaf 3 @ 1.o
I started by lightly sanding the rough spots on the wood and gave both sides two coats of white spray paint. I waited two days before applying any vinyl to the sign to be sure the paint was very dry and the vinyl wouldn’t pull off any paint as I peeled it away. I have the Expression 2 machine and I have had good luck cutting vinyl with the “kiss cut” setting. The sharp hook that came with one of my tool kits works very well to remove the actual letters from the backing sheet. I use regular masking tape to help transfer the vinyl. Pressing it on the carpet to pick up some fibers prevents it from being too sticky.
Once the letters are in place the rest of the sign’s surface has to be covered. For this I use masking tape or scrap vinyl. An exact0 knife trims the vinyl from the routed edges so that the sign is “framed” in the same color as the letters.
For the flowers I positioned the cut vinyl being careful not to to expose any lettering in the openings. Again I used scrap vinyl and masking to cover the rest of the sign. Since I do not want to spray paint the edges I tape newspaper to the edges of the wood and tuck it under to protect the green frame as I spray the yellow flowers. At this point I thought I should have some green leaves. It would have been easier to have done them at the same time as the lettering since I wanted to use the same green. To achieve the look that some of the leaves were behind the flowers, I had to carefully mask part of the yellow petals to avoid them being covered in green. Again I taped,vinyl and tucked newspaper around the edges.
Rather than go to the Cricut layers to add details to the flowers and buy another can of spray paint to cover just a few square inches of sign I used my acrylic paints and brushes to add the final touches to the flowers. In the past I had trouble using the vinyl as a stencil for the acrylic. When I removed the vinyl it pulled some of the acrylic paint away. Now when we repair the fence behind the old flower box we can hang the new sign!